If your tooth enamel becomes damaged over time it is possible for a small hole to find its way into your tooth. These holes are cavities which must be treated so that additional damage to the tooth cannot occur. With dental fillings, you can fill in the cavity and save the tooth.
Common fillings for dental caries include amalgam and tooth-colored resin, or composites. The beauty of composite fillings lies in their functionality and aesthetic charm. Consider the following:
– For cavities that are often too small for dental amalgams to adequately fix, composites can be used effectively and safely.
– When a composite filling is damaged, it does not need to removed, but rather it can be repaired multiple times without the need to ever remove the original.
– Dental amalgams use mercury to bind the different metals together, but with composites, no mercury is needed, which can cause safety concerns with individuals.
– Dental composites are more resistant to tooth fracture than dental amalgams.
– Oftentimes, tooth decay occurs near the margins of teeth, which can cause leaks with dental amalgams, but composites can seal edges much closer to the margins, thus making them more resistant to leaks.
If you are worried you may have a cavity or would like a professional cleaning to help prevent against cavities in the future, please contact our dental office in Holland, Michigan, by calling 616-392-2853. Dr. Mark Berard and our team at Mark D. Berard, DDS are here to help enhance your smile so it can continue to shine for many years to come!